Spray paint makes it easy to upgrade the look of your favorite furniture. But, if you choose the wrong brand, you can end up with a mess. There are lots of brands to choose from – and to help you out, we’ve chosen the 25 best spray paint options for DIY projects and furniture, whether it’s made of wood, plastic, glass, vinyl, or metal.
Before we reveal our picks, let’s talk about the key considerations to keep in mind when you buy spray paint. There are three we want to highlight.
- The surface of the furniture you want to paint. A spray paint that works perfectly on wood might yield disastrous results on metal. You should look for a paint that’s been formulated to work on the surface you’ll be covering.
- The spray paint type. Spray paint is available in different formulations and finishes. For some furniture you may prefer a shiny finish and for others, matte or a frosted glass look might be what you need. You can also choose options that are ideal for preventing rust.
- Spray paint colors. This might seem like an obvious thing to mention, but you’ll want to choose a brand that has the colors you want. Spray paints are available in a huge array of colors to suit any project you wish to undertake.
Of course, you’ll also need to keep your budget in mind as you shop. Some spray paint brands are more expensive than others.
Now that you know what to look for when you’re buying spray paint, let’s reveal our top 25 picks spray paint for wood, plastic, metal, glass & vinyl.
Top Rated Spray Paint
Spray Paint for Wood
Rust-Oleum Chalked Linen White Spray Paint
Our first pick is Rust-Oleum Chalked Linen White paint. Here are some of its key features:
- Oil-based paint provides a smooth, even coating on most indoor services
- Works on wood, metal, canvas, and ceramic
- Can be distressed to add an attractive finish to furniture
- Cover up to 12 square feet with one can
- Dry to the touch in just 20 minutes
- Dries to an ultra-matte finish with a velvety appearance
We like this paint because it provided good coverage even with a single coat, although you can apply more than one if needed. We want to note that this is not a true chalk paint although it has a chalky finish.
Krylon Chalky Finish Tidal Blue
Our next pick is from another respected brand. Here’s why we chose Krylon Chalky Finish Tidal Blue for our list:
- Provides quick coverage on a variety of surfaces
- Can be used on indoor or outdoor furniture
- Long-lasting color will not fade even when out in the sun
- Finish has a slight texture but is still smooth and ultra-matte
This spray paint is available in a multitude of colors. Depending on the surface you are covering, you might be able to get the finish you want with one coat, but it won’t take more than two.
Rust-Oleum American Accents Ultra Cover
Our third pick is another product from Rust-Oleum. Here are some of the reasons we recommend this product:
- Can be used on both indoor and outdoor furniture
- The any-angle tip makes it easy to apply paint to hard-to-reach areas
- Dries to an attractive and glossy finish
- Safe for use on wood, plastic, metal, and even wicker furniture
- Coats furniture evenly with minimal dripping
- Available in dozens of colors
For most furniture, you’ll want to start with a coat of primer. It may also be helpful to lightly sand plastic and other smooth surfaces prior to application. We especially like that this paint will work on wicker.
Krylon ColorMaster Semi-Flat Black Decorator Paint
Our number four pick is Krylon ColorMaster Semi-Flat Black. This is an interior and exterior paint. Here are some of the things we like about it:
- Works on wood, metal, wicker, and glass furniture
- Dries to the touch in only 10 minutes
- Has a beautiful, semi-flat enamel finish
- Features Krylon’s EZ Touch 360-degree dial spray tip
- Moisture-resistant finish makes this product ideal for outdoor furniture
One of the things we like about this product is that Krylon makes a finish that won’t yellow or fade. This paint will look great for a long time after you apply it, especially if you add a top coat to finish it.
Rust-Oleum Lacquer Spray, Chinese Red
Next, we’ve chosen Rust-Oleum Lacquer Spray in Chinese Red. We’re highlighting this color, but the paint is available in black, clear, and white, as well. Here are some of the features we like:
- Professional luster look is ideal for furniture of all kinds
- Fast-curing formula is ready in just 30 minutes – and dries to the touch in 20 minutes
- The glossy finish can be polished to a high shine
- Works on wood and metal furniture
- Safe for indoor and outdoor use
The one note we want to make about this product is that it works best if you warm the paint slightly by placing the can in a pail of warm water before using it.
Spray Paint for Plastic
Krylon Fusion Spray Paint for Plastic
Next up is a Krylon product that’s specially formulated to work on all types of plastic. Here are its key features:
- Works on all types of plastic including PVC and resin
- Works without sanding or priming
- Dry to the touch in only 15 minutes
- Paint is fully chip-resistant in 7 days
- Available in 19 colors
- Safe for use on both indoor and outdoor furniture
We found that this paint worked best on plastic that was slightly warm – so if you plan on painting outdoors, wait until the last minute to bring your furniture outside. It’s also important to wait the full 7 days before using your spray-painted furniture.
Rust-Oleum Spray Paint for Plastic
Here’s another spray paint that’s specifically designed for use on plastic surfaces – this one from Rust-Oleum. Here are some of the features that convinced us to choose this product:
- One-step, direct application requires no priming
- Excellent adhesion to a variety of plastic surfaces
- Ideal for use on both outdoor and indoor plastic furniture
- Available in black, white, taupe, and dark hunter green
- Long-lasting and durable finish won’t chip or scratch with use
As is the case with most spray paints, this product is best applied outdoors thanks to the fumes. It’s important to let the finish set completely before you use the items you’ve painted.
Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Multi-Purpose Spray Paint
Our next product is also one of the most versatile spray paints on this list. Here’s what we like about Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch:
- The product works on wood, metal, plastic, unglazed ceramic, fabric, and even masonry
- The formula is oil-based and has a less toxic aroma than some other paints
- Available in a total of 33 colors
- Dries to a smooth, satin finish ideal for covering imperfections
- Dry to the touch in only 20 minutes
- Multi-directional nozzle minimizes hand fatigue
- Safe for indoor and outdoor use
This product has the high quality and versatility we expect of Rust-Oleum. We particularly like that we got minimal drips while using it – and when drips occurred, they were easy to fix by simply wiping with a paper towel and reapplying a light coat of paint.
Krylon Dual Superbond Paint and Primer, Satin Finish
For some projects, it’s ideal to have a product that works as a two-in-one painter and primer. That’s why Krylon’s Dual Superbond Paint makes our list. Here are some of its best features:
- Works on both indoor and outdoor furniture
- Ideal for use on metal, wood, wicker, and ceramic items, and it also works on plastic
- Dries in 30 minutes for application of second coat
- Satin finish is attractive (and this product also comes in gloss and matte finishes)
- Available in 29 colors
While we really like the coverage this paint provides, it’s important to note that we found that most surfaces will need a minimum of two counts to get a smooth, satin finish. Be sure to let the paint dry completely between coats and use in a well-ventilated area.
Krylon SUPERMAXX Satin Black
Our next pick is one of the best when it comes to painting metal furniture. Here’s what we like about Krylon SUPERMAXX Spray Paint:
- Works on metal, wood, laminates, and plastics
- Easy-use nozzle allows spraying from any angle while minimizing hand fatigue
- Provides top-notch protection against rust
- Superbond technology eliminates the need for sanding or priming
- Durable finish resists scratching and chipping
The one thing that we want to mention is that it’s helpful to clean the surface you’ll be painting with either alcohol or acetone prior to application for the best results.
Spray Paint for Metal
Krylon CoverMaxx Spray Paint Metallic Gold
Nothing says luxury like a gold finish, which is why we’ve chosen Krylon CoverMaxx Spray Paint in metallic gold as our next product. Here are a few of the main reasons we selected it for our list:
- Products works as a painter + primer combination
- Safe for use on both indoor and outdoor furniture
- Weather-resistant finish protects against rusting
- Quick-dry product is dry to the touch in only 10 minutes
- Conical nozzle allows for easy application without fatigue
We do think it’s important to note that the color of this paint is more of a rose gold than a pure yellow gold. If you’re painting furniture with a dark finish, a separate primer coat may still be a good idea to get the best coverage.
Rust-Oleum Metallic Color Spray Paint
If you love metallics but refuse to be tied down to one color, this set from Rust-Oleum is ideal. It includes four beautiful metallic paints in gold, silver, brass, and copper. Here are some of the things we love about it:
- Ideal for indoor furniture made of wood and metal
- Includes real metallic flakes to create a luxurious finish
- Dries to the touch in only 15 minutes
- Seals completely in 72 hours
This product is not meant for use on outdoor furniture. One reason is that applying any kind of topcoat will dull the metallic finish. We’ve had good luck using it on metal furniture and on metal, ceramic, and wood knick-knacks.
Krylon Premium Metallic Spray Paint
Sticking with metallics, our next pick is Krylon Premium Metallic Spray Paint in gold. Here are just a few of its key features:
- Dries to a deep, lustrous finish that looks like real gold plating
- 18 Karat smooth gloss finish is ideal for indoor furniture as well as picture frames and other items
- Can be used on outdoor furniture with the addition of a top coat
- Not ideal for use on glass, although it works well on metal and wood
We noticed that the finish is more matte than glossy, but we think that adds to the luxurious look of this paint. You should expect to apply two coats to get the right finish.
Rust-Oleum Universal All-Surface Metallic
Next up is a metallic paint from Rust-Oleum, the Rust-Oleum Universal All-Surface Metallic Spray Paint. Here are just a few of the reasons we chose it for our list:
- Works on a wide array of surfaces, including wood, wicker, plastic, vinyl, metal, and wicker
- Oil-based formula has excellent adhesion on most types of furniture
- Safe for both indoor and outdoor use
- The protective finish guards against both rust and corrosion
- Covers up to 15 square feet per can
This paint has a rich, shimmering finish that we love. It works best if you lightly sand the surface you’ll be painting before application.
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Metallic Spray Paint
If you’re looking for a metallic spray paint that does a terrific job of preventing rust on metal furniture, we recommend Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Metallic Spray Paint. These are the reasons we chose it:
- Weather and corrosion-resistant formula can be used on wood and metal furniture
- Oil-based paint provides excellent, smooth coverage on a variety of surfaces
- Dries to the touch in only 20 minutes
- In addition to furniture, this paint is ideal for use on sinks and plumbing fixtures
- No-fatigue nozzle won’t leak
This product contains metal flakes which gives the finish an authentic look. We got the best results with two coats of paint – one can covers about 15 square feet.
Spray Paint for Glass
Krylon Sea Glass Spray Paint in Aqua
If you’re a beach comber, you know how beautiful the finish on sea glass can be. Salt water gives glass a gentle frosted finish – and Krylon Sea Glass Spray Paint does the same thing for furniture. Let’s look at its key features:
- This product dries to a semi-translucent, smooth, frost finish that mimics the look of sea glass
- Ideal for use on glass, ceramic, and plastic
- Translucent finish can be deepened to opaque with application of additional coats
- Dries quickly and easily
We found that this product was best applied lightly because it dries so quickly. If you want to apply it to something with a dark color, it will work best if you go with a white primer coat first.
Krylon Stained Glass Paint, Cobalt Blue
Everybody loves the look of stained glass, and Krylon Stained Glass Paint makes it easy to get that look for your glass furniture. Here are some of the things we like best about it:
- When dry, this paint simulates the look of stained glass
- Ideal for use on glass or ceramic furniture and décor
- Dries to the touch in 30 minutes and finishes in 24 hours
- Translucent finish lets light shine through
- Available in six colors
This paint is not recommended for outdoor use although you might be able to use it on a glass patio table if you added a clear top coat.
Krylon Frosted Spray Paint for Glass
Frosted glass is a popular choice for many people, and Krylon’s Frosted Glass Finish Glass Paint is a quick and affordable way to get the finish you want. Here are some of its features:
- Semi-transparent paint gives a new look to glass furniture and home items
- Suited for use on indoor furniture only
- Masking glass can create an attractive, etched look
- Dries quickly
- Applying multiple coats lets you control the look of your furniture
One important thing to note is that the paint will look clear when it goes on. The frosted appearance becomes obvious as the paint dries.
Rust-Oleum Mirror Effect Specialty
A mirror effect can be quite beautiful on furniture with glass or ceramic pieces. Apply Rust-Oleum Mirror Effect paint is an affordable way to get the finish you want. We chose it for these features:
- Works on glass and ceramic furniture and household objects
- Oil-based formula yields a shiny, reflective surface that’s durable
- Dries in only 10 minutes
- Covers up to 4 square feet of glass
- Can be used on top of glass or on the reverse side
- Works on acrylic glass, as well
You’ll want to make sure to get enough paint for several coats to a get a true, mirrored finish.
Rust-Oleum Specialty Frosted Glass
Frosted glass is a beautiful addition to furniture. Rust-Oleum’s Specialty Frosted Glass Paint makes it easy to get that list without running out and replacing your glass furniture. Here’s why we picked it:
- Cover up to 7 square feet of glass with one can
- Perfect for stenciling designs on glass for an etched look
- Dries completely in 10 minutes
- Suitable for use on indoor furniture only
- Fully removeable with paint thinner or acetone
This product is not intended for outdoor use or on any surface that’s regularly exposed to water. In other words, it’s perfect for furniture but not for your shower door.
Spray Paint for Vinyl
Rust-Oleum Vinyl Spray Paint
Do you have furniture with vinyl on it? It can be difficult to find the right paint to use on vinyl, but you won’t go wrong with Rust-Oleum’s Vinyl Spray. Here are some of its key features:
- Safe to use on vinyl indoor furniture
- Dries to an elegant, semi-gloss finish
- Dries completely in 30 minutes
- Can be used on leather and some fabrics as well as vinyl
What we like best about this product is that it doesn’t look like paint once it’s dried. It will make your old vinyl furniture look like new again – and for a far lower cost than actually buying new furniture.
Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Spray Paint
This is the only appearance by Dupli-Color on this list, but it’s well-earned. Their High-Performance Vinyl and Fabric Spray is ideal for refinishing your vinyl and fabric furniture. These are the reasons that we chose it for our list:
- Adheres smoothly and evenly without a primer coat
- Dries quickly and won’t chip or crack with use
- Available in 12 colors
- Perfect for indoor furniture as well as automobile interiors
One thing we should mention is that it’s important to clean the vinyl you’ll be painting with acetone before applying the paint. Apply in light coats, allowing each to dry before applying the next. High-use items like chairs should be allowed to dry for up to weeks before use.
VHT Vinyl Dye Spray Paint
Our next product is also designed for use on vinyl. Here are a few of the reasons that we selected it:
- Works on stiff or pliable vinyl, simulated leather, and plastic furniture
- Available in 11 attractive colors
- The color soaks into the items you spray so it won’t crack or peel
- Can be used to refinish or change the color of indoor furniture
As is the case with the other vinyl paints we’ve recommended, it’s important to remove any dirt or grease from your furniture before you apply this paint. You should apply a light coat first and allow it to sink in, then follow with a heavier coat.
Simply Spray Upholstery Fabric Spray Paint
Finding spray paint that will work on upholstered furniture is a challenge, but Simply Spray’s product fits the bill. This product’s features make it an ideal choice if you want to spruce up your furniture:
- This is a non-toxic, non-flammable, environmentally safe product
- Ideal for use on upholstered indoor furniture
- Works on absorbent fabric only (a patch test will be necessary)
- Available in 18 colors
This paint works best if you cover your upholstery with a color that’s the same as or darker than the original. It soaks into the fabric, so you shouldn’t expect to paint a brown cushion in a light color.
Tulip ColorShot Outdoor Upholstery Spray Paint
Our last product is one that you can use on upholstered outdoor furniture without worrying that exposure to the sun will cause it to crack or fade. These are its best features:
- Works on both natural/absorbent fabrics and synthetic/non-absorbent fabrics
- UV and weather-resistant formula won’t lose its pigment
- Dries to a soft touch so your furniture won’t feel stiff
- 3 ounces of paint covers approximately one square yard of fabric
We highly recommend doing a patch test before applying to your furniture. It will give you an idea of what the finished product will look like.
Spray Painting FAQ
Spray painting furniture is an affordable way to refinish it, but it’s natural to have questions. Here are a few of the questions we hear most often, along with our answers.
Do I need to prime before spray painting?
Some spray paints come with a built-in primer and specifically state that primer isn’t necessary. A good rule of thumb is to use primer if you’re putting light paint on a dark surface or if your surface is irregular or damaged.
How can I apply spray paint evenly?
As a rule, it’s a good idea to do several light coats rather than a heavy one. A light aerosol is less likely to clump or drip. You can also look for products to help. A paint diffuser can even out the flow of paint.
What’s the best way to spray paint hard-to-reach areas?
If you’ve got a piece of furniture with hard-to-reach areas, you should look for a product that has a multi-directional spray nozzle. It may also be helpful to reposition the furniture as you paint.
How long should I wait between coats of spray paint?
Drying times vary from product to product. We recommend following the manufacturer’s instructions for drying times. Allow extra time if you’re spray painting in wet or humid weather.
How can I prevent the spray can tip from clogging?
Today’s spray paint manufacturers have made significant improvements that prevent clogging. We recommend wiping the tip periodically if you see paint accumulating.
How can I prevent spray paint air bubbles?
The most common cause of air bubbles is the weather. For the best results, apply spray paint when the temperature is between 50 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity is less than 85%. If you do end up with air bubbles, you can lightly sand the surface to remove them and then reapply the paint.
How can I prevent spray paint overspray?
The most common causes of overspray are nozzle pressure and distance. To prevent overspray, apply paint using a light touch on the nozzle. Make sure not to stand too close to the item you are spray painting and apply painter’s tape to protect nearby objects.
Spray painting furniture is an affordable way to give your old furniture new life. The 25 best spray paint on this list are all ones that we recommend for use as indicated. If you use them properly, you can get new-looking furniture for a tiny fraction of what you could expect to spend on new furniture.